[Fwd: Re: Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu]

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 4 00:23:21 BST 2006

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 01:06:06PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> I disagree - if replacing breezy with dapper in /etc/apt/sources.list
> and running "apt-get dist-upgrade" does not work, it's a bug.  This has
> always been the standard way to upgrade a Debian system and IMHO must
> work.

It works as well as it ever has in Ubuntu or in Debian, which, all told, is
not all that well.  It's a heuristic solution to a complicated problem and
has never been perfect, including removing packages unexpectedly.

This is not a new problem, and the update-manager approach provides a more
realistic approach.

--
 - mdz