[Fwd: Re: Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu]

Guido Heumann listguido at web.de
Mon Jul 3 11:27:31 BST 2006

Peter Whittaker schrieb:
> On Sun, 2006-02-07 at 15:08 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
>> My point is that someone who already knows how to use apt-get to upgrade
>> a system will not read the release notes and should not have to.
>
> I disagree strongly (with the "should not have to" perspective): From
> time to time, there will be changes that change the way things have been
> done;
[...]
>> Ubuntu should not break things that have always worked.

I basically go with Peter's opinion here. Additionally I just want to
mention that even for the last two Debian releases the officially
recommended way of upgrading was not "apt-get dist-upgrade" anymore:

potato- > woody: deselect recommended over apt-get [1]
woody -> sarge: aptitude recommended over apt-get [2]

So even if the "traditional" way worked for you in the past, there's
probably a reason why it's not recommended anymore. But I too would like
to see more documentation of the relevant "corner case scenarios" that
are affected.

cheers,
Guido

[1]http://www.debian.org/releases/3.0/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-dselectupgrade