Database Filesystem? (Was Tracker in Edgy?)

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Sun Jul 2 20:33:09 BST 2006

Perhaps this discussion should move to sounder. It doesn't have much to
do with Ubuntu development.

I'll throw my two cents in. The filesystem isn't really hierarchical for
the users as much as for the system itself. It would be hard to find
another paradigm for a storage mechanism that fit a
module/package/application based operating system like most Unixes and
Windows. Programs need to store data. That data needs to be on the disk.
The disk is the file system. I would hate for /bin to be some weird
query into a metadata based system. It doesn't need to be.

For users on the other hand, sure, directories and hierarchy don't
really help much. For the system, they are essential.

So, it seems then that the best of both worlds can be had with the
current system: The core of the system is hierarchical, and layered on
top of it, for the user, comes an indexing engine. Like Beagle. Proper
file system events, well coded indexing engines, and it's not a big
concern.

Do we have any of those? Not yet. =)