Windows user who running list @ubuntu.com

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Mon Jan 30 14:43:59 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 11:06:32AM +0800, Jerome Gotangco said:

> Don't forget the OpenCD project! It has a much wider selection of
> WinFOSS and essays compared to the Ubuntu Live CDs but still manage to
> have Ubuntu Live. I've given copies to people during my talks and they
> love it and get to understand Ubuntu and Linux better.

Just about every mailing list that is related in any way to Linux has
this argument at least once, and I've only seen one ever resolve it in
any way other than coming to the conclusion that Windows mailers are
more than welcome to post to the list.  That particular list wasn't
really about Linux, it was more about being mean to people.

It comes down to this; are you trying to make a distribution that people
will want to switch to from Windows, or are you trying to make a
distribution that only the Linux cognoscenti will use?  I'm pretty sure
Ubuntu is more about the former than the latter, and as such, there's
not much point in preaching only to the converted; you need the sinners
too.

--
   Shawn McMahon    | Ubuntu: an ancient African word meaning "I am sick
   EIV Consulting   | of compiling Gentoo".