"It's an Ubuntu World"

Old Rocker old.rocker at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 19:12:31 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 24 Jan 2006 03:49, Senectus . wrote:

> Ubuntu is quickly becoming the defacto standard in user-friendly
> distributions.

That means there are other user-friendly distributions out there :-) I
use MEPIS at home now and I think that is more user-friendly; however,
I do use Ubuntu at the Disability Centre where I help other disabled
people to use Linux, so I am following this posting with interest.  The
Centre originally chose Ubuntu because they were given a number of free
PCs and could get a number of free install CDs from Ubuntu.  That had
more to do with them using it than any "defacto standard".

> Since it is Debian, apt will allow you to pull from a
> huge repository of Debian-ready applications and have them installed
> within minutes.

Careful here.  Ubuntu is BASED on Debian but it is moving away from the
concept that Debian or Debian-based distros should work with any
package in each of the relevant Debian repositories.  Indeed, the
Ubuntu repositories hold software that is meant to be used with the
Ubuntu core alone.  Other packages from the Debian repositories MAY
work with Ubuntu, but they are not guaranteed to do so.  Even the
software downloaded by Automatix which is meant to work with Ubuntu is
not recommended by the Ubuntu developers as the software may break the
system.

Ubuntu works well, but it is slowly moving away from the concept of
being a different installer for Debian software; it certainly has its
own repositories that hold software that cannot be run on other
Debian-like distros.  It has within it the dangers of a fork with
duplication of effort that is only to the detriment of the whole Debian
community.

The Debian installer has been a joke for some time, and although better
now, it has caused several other Debian-based distros (amongst them
Libranet, MEPIS, and Knoppix) to produce a different core, a recompiled
kernel, and so on.  But as far as possible those distros are true to
the concept of using pure Debian packages.  Ubuntu has been different
from the beginning.

> Ubuntu is also easily customizable, allowing you to completely change
> the look of the Gnome desktop in just a few clicks.

So is Libranet, and MEPIS uses KDE and it can do that as well.  Most
Linux distros do that, so I am not sure what point is being made here.

Ubuntu is a Linux distro, and for a number of people I come into contact
with, using a computer on which Linux is installed is a liberating
experience.  Many concepts which brought about the open source
revolution (being able to share and contribute, retaining freedom to
use the hardware and software, and being able to contact other like
minded people) are shared by those people (who range in age from 13 to
72!).  Coming to Linux without any preconceived notion of Windows
proves a learning experience but a LOGICAL learning experience.  The
majority of them cannot understand, for instance, why Windows does not
come with a compiler.  They use Ubuntu at the Centre and I am often
asked why the build-essential package is not included as standard when
the same facility is available on other Linux distros.  That is more
important to these users than "the look of the Gnome desktop".  The
philosophy behind Linux IS as important as ease of use.

--

Old Rocker