Re: Ubuntu in the news: "Cosmonaut takes on Windows’ global reach "

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Mon Jan 23 07:31:22 GMT 2006

Senectus . wrote:
> The Munich thing is very interesting, I had though they were one-eyed
> SuSE, and I've begun hearing rumours that the big Munich switch isn't
> going as well as originally planed (not failing but not on schedule)
>
> Any chance the SABDFL might expand on this a bit? :-)

Yes - this is a misunderstanding with the author of the article, though
it's an understandable misunderstanding. I was describing the economic
model around desktop linux and saying that it seemed likely that Munich
would not deploy Red Hat, with its strong commercial-style licensing,
but would instead build its own using components similar to Ubuntu.
There's some chance that it could be an Ubuntu derivative that they end
up deploying, but we are not actually in discussions with Munich officials.