nUbuntu stable release on digg

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Tue Jan 17 19:26:55 GMT 2006

Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:41:45 +0800, John wrote:
>
>>Any notion of a automated mirror choose isd broken, unless it
>>understands all the Internet topology.
>

> Choosing a random mirror is pointless.  But indeed choosing a mirror based
> on network proximity is easily possible and indeed useful, but better
> achieved at the DNS stage a la SuperSparrow (http://www.supersparrow.org/).
>
> Pete

For the benefit to users, it might as well be random. Still it can't
tell what's financially beneficial to users: how does it know whether to
prefer WAIX

Its choice for me is California, and that doesn't look at all good to
me: take you world globe out and see where California is from Perth,
Western Australia.