Debian Common Core Alliance

Magnus Blomfelt d98mb at dtek.chalmers.se
Fri Jan 6 16:45:59 GMT 2006

>> As I understand it all of the Ubuntu patches are available to Debian.
>> I think that's great and hope for others to follow your example.
>> Unfortunately it's sometimes not possible to include a patch because
>> of technical reasons. Some of those reasons originate in incompatible
>> versions of the kernel, libc or gcc. Using a compatible core with Debian
>> would mean having compatible versions of the kernel, libc and gcc.
>> Therefore using a common core would make it possible to include more
>> patches from Ubuntu in Debian. Thats why I beleive having a compatible
>> core makes it easier to collaborate at the source code level.
>
> You're still talking about source level compatibility, which is entirely
> orthogonal to whether a common binary core is used.  In practice, we
already
> do have a useful level of source code compatibility with Debian and other
> Debian-derived distributions, since we're branching from the same code
> base.

What I'm saying is that having compatible versions of the kernel, libc and
gcc
results in a higher level of source code compatibility.
Having compatible versions of the kernel, libc and gcc is a strict
requirement
for binary compatibility. Therefore having binary compatibility results in
a higher level of source code compatibility.

Magnus