Debian Common Core Alliance

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 6 15:09:16 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 02:55:37PM +0100, Magnus Blomfelt wrote:
> > I still don't see how having a common binary core makes it easier to
> > exchange patches at the source code level.  We can exchange security
> patches
> > for the kernel if they are source compatible regardless of whether we use a
> > common core.  In terms of working with Debian, I think that to date, Ubuntu
> > has been more successful in folding changes back into Debian than DCC
> > members have.
>
> As I understand it all of the Ubuntu patches are available to Debian.
> I think that's great and hope for others to follow your example.
> Unfortunately it's sometimes not possible to include a patch because
> of technical reasons. Some of those reasons originate in incompatible
> versions of the kernel, libc or gcc. Using a compatible core with Debian
> would mean having compatible versions of the kernel, libc and gcc.
> Therefore using a common core would make it possible to include more
> patches from Ubuntu in Debian. Thats why I beleive having a compatible
> core makes it easier to collaborate at the source code level.

You're still talking about source level compatibility, which is entirely
orthogonal to whether a common binary core is used.  In practice, we already
do have a useful level of source code compatibility with Debian and other
Debian-derived distributions, since we're branching from the same code base.

--
 - mdz