Forums vs Mailing Lists

Scott angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com
Fri Jan 6 04:56:33 GMT 2006

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Derek Broughton
>
> | Why shouldn't he be serious?  I don't personally think it's necessary
> | because I find gmane perfectly adequate, but listservs are a poorer way to
> | handle discussion than Usenet.
>
> Possibly for you.  For me, there's no difference, I read them both
> with the same client, using the same settings.

I sometimes do and I sometimes don't.  For "serous" newreading I prefer
a dedicated newsreader (my preference being Pan).
There is also a difference for me because (to make a long story short) I
keep all my email messages on my mail server (hosted along with my web
site by a company I pay for the services) which seems to get slower as
my mailbox grows bigger.   Also I'm eating my own bandwidth (I have a
monthly allotment).

Reading news on gmane doesn't affect my bandwidth situation, nor would
it on any private (free) news server.

> However, running an NNTP server and using the nntp gateway which is
> part of mailman could work just fine, but it would require a bit of
> resources to set up and manage.  I'm not sure if Canonical would like
> to do that.

If it's a lot of trouble, I'm sure the would in fact not be interested.
  They would hardly be alone.  I can't think of a Linux distro off the
top of my head who hosts a news server for discussion groups.  Everyone
I know of goes the mailing list route.

It was just a thought.  An idea.  I'd not even thought about it prior to
my bringing it up here.

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com