Debian Common Core Alliance

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 5 18:29:15 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:16:50PM +0100, Magnus Blomfelt wrote:

> >> Having a common core, in my opinion, makes it easier to collaborate at
> >> the source code level.
> >
> > I don't see how; can you explain?  I don't think that even the DCCA
> > themselves make this claim; their justification for a common binary core is
> > based on certification (and I don't have much faith in that approach, as
> > outlined above).  They don't claim that it aids collaboration.
>
> Luckily I don't need the DCCA to have opinions, so here it goes:
> The DCC based distros will be binary compatible with Debian.
> Those distros can then share for instance security patches for the kernel.
> In Ubuntu's case being DCC based would mean it would be smoother to send
> useful bug and feature patches to Debian. I'm not saying it's neccesary,
> but it would make it easier to collaborate.

I still don't see how having a common binary core makes it easier to
exchange patches at the source code level.  We can exchange security patches
for the kernel if they are source compatible regardless of whether we use a
common core.  In terms of working with Debian, I think that to date, Ubuntu
has been more successful in folding changes back into Debian than DCC
members have.

--
 - mdz