Why Ubuntu isn't for New Linux Users

Randy Gloden sounder at microbabble.com
Sun Feb 26 04:39:36 GMT 2006

I agree whole heartedly with the essence of the message.  But, this is
not a coding problem.  The scripts to do this "even with a GUI" already
exists.  The technical aspects are simple enough that this could be done
from scratch or existing code reworked with little effort.  So, even for
those that want to make Ubuntu idiot proof and have all functionality
work out of the box, they will not sacrifice their convictions to make
this happen.  These things are not being held out of the OS because the
those that are in positions of influence are elitist.  Rather, they
haven't been presented with a "solution" that they can "live with" or
are convinced of yet.

So, this is not a technical issue waiting on an application
designer/developer.  It is a political issue that has many on the
opposing side that believe enough compromise has already been made in
Ubuntu and the inclusion of something similar to "automatix" would
constitute an endorsement of the technologies it enables . (As I'm
putting words into their mouths, if I'm wrong about this, speak up for
yourself)   The sentiment seems to be, "Hey, if they can read, they can
look it up in the manual."   This is a very unfortunate attitude, but it
is prevalent.  But is it valid?  Well, instead of arguing and arguing,
take a little bit of effort, and give random non-computer people a
Ubuntu CD, and then see how long it takes them to get these elements
loaded.  Many will not understand that they don't have 3D working and
just think the OS is slow with games.  They won't know why multimedia
content isn't working, let alone where to look for the solution.  I know
because I've seen it.

My personal feelings are that an acceptable compromise would be for
Ubuntu to supply an "enabling" tool, which still leaves a straight
Ubuntu install clean for those that don't want to corrupt their OS with
these things.  And it give those that do want this the choice to make
their own decision and act on it in a manner quite accessible to them.
This isn't really that different from running the DVD enabling script
under Debian.  If we can agree that such a script doesn't compromise us,
then polishing this up and putting it in an intuitive interface doesn't
compromise us any differently.

I agree with you and the blogger on one other thing as well, without a
focus/attitude that puts the user first, these issues won't be
reconsidered.  I was reading back through the "public commitment to its
users" on the homepage and noticed one line that gives me much hope.  It
speaks of making "Ubuntu usable by as many people as possible."

The only thing stopping us is ourselves!

---------Randy

www.microbabble.com