New DHCP client in development..

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sat Feb 25 11:56:51 GMT 2006

Senectus . wrote:
>>From a user perspective this sounds like a great idea..
>
> "According to Rompf, current DHCP clients on Linux do not recognize
> temporary disconnections. Such disconnections are common for notebook
> users that travel between different networks or that roam different
> hotspots and WLANs.
>
> Rompf argues that the disconnection is not necessarily a limitation of
> the current 2.6 Linux kernel, as the kernel itself will notify
> userspace of a disconnection/reconnection event.
>
> However, a feature that is expected to debut in the 2.6.17 Linux
> kernel will make it even easier to deal with
> disconnection/reconnection events. The most current Linux kernel
> release is 2.6.15 with 2.6.16 currently at the release candidate 4
> stage.
>
> Rompf said the 2.6.17 kernel will allow userspace to influence
> connection event signaling, so that a DHCP client could be notified
> that a connection has terminated and the client should attempt to
> obtain a new IP address. "

I would have thought writing a satisfactory replacement for dhcpcd and
dhclient an nunnecessarily difficult undertaking.

On OS X, Apple uses configd (I've just been reading up on it and
plugging/unplagging the cable) to detect configuration changes including
  hot-plugging network cables, and the OS X model works extremely well.

Linux technology is leaving me behind, but I thought that this is the
kind of problem hotplug should be handling. It seems to me that there's
little difference beteen plugging in USB devices such as cameras and USB
disks on the one hand, and network cables on the other. The difference
is even less when the device is a USB wireless "card."

Why isn't configuring hotplug properly the "one true Linux way?"