Windows FOSS on the Live CD -- the OOo2 question

Phillip Pare ptpare at lantic.net
Wed Feb 22 13:25:16 GMT 2006

Eric Dunbar wrote:

>I see three main issues with removing OpenOffice: First it is a
>cornerstone piece of FOSS that has an important role in getting a
>foot-hold on the Windows platform (but less important than Firefox). It
>has the best support for MS-Office files of the Free office suites. And
>third, it is what we ship with Ubuntu, so it presents a unified picture,
>making it clear that you can run many of the same applications on
>several platforms and you can then painlessly move your data between them.
>
>The question is whether these three points are important enough to
>outweigh the limitations on space. The the saved 30-77mb we can add a
>lot of cool stuff.
>
>Among that stuff could be example content (and language packs).  With
>more space we could include more pictures, OOo presentations, several
>pieces of music, a decent video clip, gimp files with multiple layers, etc.
>
>Thoughs?
>
>- Henrik

Why does one have to stick to a live CD and not go for a live DVD? The
cost of DVD media has indeed come down considerably and then you have
4.7 GB to play with or 9.4 GB if the install disk is also a DVD. With
some of the extra space you could even include much more stuff from the
repositories and so make life easier for people in countries where
bandwidth is still very expensive.