On the subject of naming the Dapper successor

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot at hot.pl
Thu Feb 16 21:23:58 GMT 2006

Mark Shuttleworth:

> I've also been thinking about the version numbers. Perhaps
> we should be more explicit about the year/month thing?

>   Ubuntu 2006/04
>   Ubuntu 2006-04
>   Ubuntu Dog-04

> Thoughts welcome.

Either 2006/04, 2006-04 or 2006.04 would be a step up in my opinion.

6.04 is a version number straight from the Windows world; Linux world
seldom uses leading zeros. 6.4 was always less than 6.10 when considered
as a Linux app number, and greater when considered as a Windows app
(hence, I guess, the 6.04 in Ubuntu versioning). Explicitely putting
2006 in front would simply make the number less ugly and more explicit.

// Disclaimer: I hate the whole idea of basing version numbers on
// release dates, so my opinions are far from neutral; 6.04 simply
// hurts my eyes twice as much as 2006.04 would, as the latter at
// least doesn’t look like a Windows app version. ;o)

-- Shot (and I do love the Dog-04 idea)