"Ubuntu takes on XP in the gadget arena"

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Feb 15 17:00:30 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 08:38:56AM -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> I am a network admin for a 99% Windows base business and the only blue
> screens i have ever had are from Hardware failures and not operating
> system issues.

Well I'm glad they're finally catching up then.  It's about time.  But still
this is not similar to my experience.

The only time I tried XP was when I was on holiday in Europe and my laptop
died, so I bought another in Rome.  I thought I'd see what it was like since
it's about 12 years since I last tried Windows, so instead of sightseeing
with my mates that day, I spent about six (6!!) hours trying to get it to do
English.  There were many many places which had language settings, none of
which made any difference, even after dutifully rebooting each time it
wanted to.  I didn't succeed in even changing *one single app* to English,
and witnessed no less than three blue screens, so that evening I gave up on
trying Windows and installed Ubuntu and have had absolutely no problems
since (except when people who can't touch type try to use the keyboard).

Pete