On the subject of naming the Dapper successor

Hidde Brugmans hc.brugmans at hiddenwolf.org
Tue Feb 14 15:03:31 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 14:36 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 15:31 +0100, Carsten Lange wrote:
> > Am 14.02.2006, 14:27 Uhr, schrieb John Pinner <john at linuxemporium.co.uk>:
> >
> > > Having lurked at the outer edges of this list, I thought it time to
> > > intrude on the matter of naming future releases. Why? I think that the
> > > Ubuntu community needs to consider whether it wishes to be taken
> > > seriously outside the GNU/Linux world.

*snip*

> I'm inclined to agree with John that more obscure codenames would work
> well.
>
> Matt

I'd say that Ubuntu is strong enough to be taken seriously based on
performance, reputation, and general merit.
The Ubuntu name, and the catchy unheard-off code names are something
that sets us apart.
Ubuntu is African, it will draw attention simply by being a name not
simply drawn from a western cultural reference. As such people will
frown. Combining this with a raving critique, and press announcements
lining up a strong set of supporters (like HP, IBM), a long list of
accomplishments, and derivatives, it will just help to intrigue those
who come across it.

The codename sets us apart. It is one more tiny step towards
differentiating ourselves withing the murky swamp of countless virtually
identical linux distributions which can and will copy our work and
features shamelessly and legally.

There is no way for a Linux distribution to get ahead of it's
competitors based purely on GPL-compatible-code. Marketing, community
sense, Hype, Loyalty and feeling different is what we need and have been
doing very successfully in order to make Ubuntu special.

Hidde Brugmans