Lies and FUD about Ubuntu by Mandriva boss?

Christian Jensen cj2003 at debian-news.net
Tue Feb 14 06:54:19 GMT 2006

That's what this blogger means:

http://www.fsfe.org/en/fellows/incinerator/weblog/comment_mandriva_ceo_disses_ubuntu

"François Bancilhon, CEO of Mandriva, recently did an interview
<http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/Main/interview-francois0602> for the
Mandriva Club. During that interview, he did some serious Ubuntu
bashing. Some of his arguments amounted to straight lies and FUD.

Here some examples:

"One possible worse case scenario is that Ubuntu's plan is to use money
to put all other community-based distros out of business and then start
monetizing the installed base."

1.) Ubuntu pledges on it's website that it will never do what
Mandrake/Mandriva has done, offering a so-called "Premium" version for
money. They might break this promise but how likely is that, really?
Therefore, this is a dodgy argument, others would simply call it FUD.
Aha, A CEO of a so-called Open Source company taking refuge to FUD then,
isn't he? Well, we all know who the usual culprits are, what does that
tell us about Mandriva and Francois?"

I think our blogger is a bit harsh, but must admit that he has a point.

Best Regards
Christian
http://www.debian-news.net/