online article: "Call issued for more mobile Linux apps"

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 05:05:58 GMT 2006

> > As an aside, last time I checked my Dell Dapper laptop, the boot up
> > time, while on wireless, was 37 seconds...
>
> Ahh, and if you didn't have wireless configured, or had DHCP running on a
> wired interface, how'd that go?

more or less the same when using  DHCP on the wired network.  Note:
I'm using network-manager, which seems to to really help in my case.

> On Warty, Hoary and Breezy it hangs and takes
> a long time to boot usually (unless you Ctrl-C when it's doing DHCP).

I know.  I have suffered long enough, and done my fair share of Ctrl-C
at boot time on that laptop using hoary and Breezy in the last 6
months.  It's only recently (last month or so) that I have been able
to avoid the Ctrl-C dance altogether.

--
Daniel Robitaille