online article: "Call issued for more mobile Linux apps"

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 03:39:24 GMT 2006

http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=30259&src=site-marq

=============
Linux applications typically launch slower and require more RAM than
Windows, Kegel said. "My laptop takes between 60 and 90 seconds to
boot up," he said. "I took out my stopwatch in a coffee house the
other day and because I wasn't plugged into a network it took three
minutes to boot up, and that's not acceptable."

Fedora Core takes 98 seconds, and Ubuntu requires 160 seconds if the
laptop is not plugged into a LAN, Kegel said.

As an aside, last time I checked my Dell Dapper laptop, the boot up
time, while on wireless, was 37 seconds...

--
Daniel Robitaille