MEPIS may be going Ubuntu

Randy Gloden sounder at microbabble.com
Mon Feb 13 23:49:07 GMT 2006

As it so happens, the entity tasked to grant licenses for CSS is called
"DVD CAA" and is located in Delaware with offices in California.
Regarding Linux, they state:

*"Can manufacturers of products for computers using the Linux operating
system obtain a license to use CSS to manufacture a DVD player for Linux
applications?*

Absolutely. The DVD Copy Control Association would welcomes applications
for the legal use of CSS from all manufacturers. In fact, Sigma Designs
(www.sigmadesigns.com) is now marketing a DVD player for Linux under its
license to manufacture products using CSS."

I will get pricing and such, though I recognize the futility of the
effort.  The only way to do this and keep everything "Free as in Beer",
would be to strike a deal to license it for the whole community.  Never
going to happen.

Oh well, I give up.

-------Randy