MEPIS may be going Ubuntu

Benj. Mako Hill mako at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 11 22:44:04 GMT 2006

<quote who="Mark Shuttleworth" date="Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 07:27:33AM +0000">
> Actually, if MEPIS were to build on Ubuntu then it would actually
> increase the competition, not decrease it. It would mean that Mepis
> gets all the things right that Ubuntu gets right, and then adds
> ADDITIONAL functionality. That's smart for Mepis (why reinvent the
> wheel), creates more effective competition,

Absolutely.

> and helps Ubuntu too because we could look more easily at the
> improvements Mepis has made, and incorporate the ones which are
> generally applicable back into Ubuntu.

Well...

My impression that much of MEPIS' value-added comes in the form of
non-free software. This taken from the MEPIS homepage:

  Unlike many others, SimplyMEPIS comes with non-free, but highly
  useful applications, all pre-configured and ready to use, out of the
  box. These include the NVIDIA accelerated driver, the Macromedia
  Flash plugin, Java, the ability to play many different multimedia
  types and many other enhancements are ready for your use.

Of course, MEPIS fills a niche because it goes places that neither
Debian nor Ubuntu can or will go. Hopefully, that will mean enhanced
collaboration in areas of overlap and in ways that reach all
distributions in our ecosystem.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at ubuntu.com
http://mako.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS