Love thy mutt-ng users

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot at hot.pl
Sat Feb 11 18:41:39 GMT 2006

Mark Shuttleworth:

> Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:

>     <pre wrap="">&lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"&gt;
> &lt;html&gt;
> &lt;head&gt;
>   &lt;meta content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"&gt;
> &lt;/head&gt;
> &lt;body bgcolor="#ffffcc" text="#000000"&gt;
>     </pre>
>   <pre wrap=""><!---->

I definitely didn’t write any of the above. ;o)

> C&#8217;mon Mark, you should know better than to post in HTML-only&#8230;
>   </pre>
> Wow, I decided to do this only today, figuring that "the world has had
> good html mail readers for at least five years, everyone must have this
> sorted". Clearly not :-)<br>

I can read your email perfectly using w3m (although it takes one more
step to do this), I just don’t always want to do what it takes to
reply to it in a readable manner (i.e., strip the HTML tags and render
the entities).

> So, should I stay with text forever? HTML
> is perfectly open and standardised now.<br>

What’s the problem with configuring your program to send *both* plain
text and HTML? Every sane email client seem to be able to do this
(although Thunderbird seems to be configured to send HTML-*only* by
default; hate).

-- Shot