A bit of ranting about Ubuntu.com

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Wed Feb 8 08:10:01 GMT 2006

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

Hi,

>With nested pages, we currently have the problem that you have to CLICK
>on the top-level page ("Participate!") in order to get a sense of the
>other pages that are available below it.

It could be argued that once a person is on a site they are there to
participate.

>How do you guys feel about those drop-down menus that some web sites
>have. When you mouseover the top tab, it shows a list of the
>sub-sections that are part of that tab.

Be careful about this, it is unfortunate that drop down menus alone
breach accessibility guidelines.
There are things that can be done to mitigate this.
First up is to ensure that if the menus are not there the site can still
be navigated.
Here are two documents, one on why they are bad, the second shows a way
forward.

See:
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/diss/webpack/factsheet15.shtml
15.5.4
However this is not insurmountable, there are acouple of things that can
be done, one is as in that document. Test with a non java enabled browser.

Or have a look at this, which I found while researching this mail.
They have a section at the bottom of the page on disabling drop down menus.

http://www.ethicaltrade.org/Z/home/discl/index.shtml

Regards,

Paul