UITN: Ubuntu's Missing Batteries

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Thu Feb 2 11:12:19 GMT 2006

On do, 2006-02-02 at 03:36 -0700, Scott wrote:
> Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> > On do, 2006-02-02 at 01:51 -0700, Scott wrote:
> >
> >> I'd really hoped an honest-to-god Ubuntu developer would have happened
> >> upon Automatix by now, thought it a great concept, improved it as
> >> needed and helped it land in the official archives.
> >
> > There currently are 2 unofficial projects creating separate
> > implementations of such tools, both with safety as primary concern.
>
> I wasn't aware of them.  Hopefully the authors are more mature and open
> to suggestion.

Being the author of one of them, I can say that that is the case :) The
other project (which is closer to completion/release) consists of a team
of people of which I trust the ones I know.

> > The existence of automatix shows that there's a need for such a thing and
> > that need should not be ignored. But automatix itself is broken beyond
> > repair when it comes to safety.
>
> I don't know that it shows a need by itself.  The resulting popularity
> of it is something else though.  BTW, one of the packages it
> automatically installs is Sun's JRE.  I'm not sure if the installation
> is allowed under Sun's licensing agreements.

It is not.

> The popularity relates to something I've been harping away at for eons.
>   Unless and until Linux becomes easy to use for the "average user" it
> will remain the OS for servers and geeks.

That's the need I was talking about - things that Ubuntu can't make easy
but 3'rd party programs can.

--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntu.com