LCD (not a VDU)

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Dec 22 05:30:14 GMT 2006

"Freddie Ruddick" <frederific at googlemail.com> writes:

> Despite the fact that I never game, I've been contemplating a Logitech
> G15 Gaming Keyboard. But I've realised that the main feature that I
> want from it is the LCD display, for displaying music titles/artists,
> system status, emails etc. So, my question is, does anyone know of a
> similar, standalone, LCD with linux support?

I wouldn't want to bet on being able to drive the LCD in that keyboard
any time soon, since access to them is not really any kind of
standard.[1]

The common choice is Matrix Orbital:  http://www.matrixorbital.com/

They are the most common choice for folks building Hi-Fi type boxes and
the like, are very reliable, comparatively affordable, have good Linux
"driver" support[2] and basically "just work."

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I have not actually /researched/ this, so there may be a Linux
     driver for talking to it, but I bet it doesn't turn out that way.

[2]  All in user-space, over a serial line.

--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/