I may build a new box for the Holidays...

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Wed Dec 20 22:59:46 GMT 2006

Op woensdag 20-12-2006 om 21:32 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Vincent
Trouilliez:
[...]
> As for processors and RAM, currently I have an old AMD Athlon 1700+
> (1,47GHz, 266MHz FSB), and 768 MB of RAM. I like to play with VMWare to
> test development version of Ubuntu before replacing the previous stable
> release. This brings the machine down to its knees, and is very slow.
> This revealed that to "just work", I would need
> 1) a faster CPU
> 2) an extra CPU core
> 3) 1+ GB of RAM

I think any CPU with multiple cores and 1 GiB RAM or more should work,
and actual CPU-speed isn't the most important aspect.

> As for the monitor, if like me you aren't satisfied with the LCD
> screens and prefer CRT's, I can suggest Samsung again. Excellent
> picture quality and overall quality, just like their hard drives
> And given the low popularity of CRT's these days, they are now very
> cheap, so really, no reason to resist.

Hm, most of the time I prefer LCD over CRT, but Samsung also has some
really good LCD screens...  :)

> Keyboard: same as mice: many to chose from, some have good aspects, but
> no model had all it takes to satisfy me, even though I really aren't
> after anything exotic !!!

Have you tried Cherry keyboards?  I have a Cherry CyMotion Expert now,
and I love it.  See its description: "Coffee on the keyboard... dirt
between the keys... life is hard, but the CyMotion can take all this and
more!" -- I really needed that!   ;-)

<http://www.cherry.de/english/products/keyboards_cymotion_expert.htm>

--
Jan Claeys