"Revolution OS" (The Movie).

Guido Heumann listguido at web.de
Mon Dec 18 18:20:44 GMT 2006

Scott schrieb:
> Somehow this movie[1] had escaped my radar till a few months ago.  But
> geek that I am, I bought it shortly thereafter.   I just got around to
> watching it a few weeks ago.  It was a very interesting and enlightening
> movie.  In many cases I didn't learn much that I didn't already know,
> but I've never seen any of the "personalities" interviewed till now.
>
> 	1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_OS

It's one of my favorite geek movies too, glad that you found it. Having
seen the movie repeatedly in several languages in differently cut
versions, I was still not aware of the nice wikipedia entry, so thanks
for the link!

> I'd seen some brief clips of Linus Torvalds over the years but nothing
> as lengthy as what was in the movie.  What was most refreshing is that
> he's so seemingly NORMAL.
>
> He doesn't have long hair. He keeps a neat appearance. He's got a wife
> and kids and yet he's STILL a geek.

I fully agree. He's definitely the best person to be presented to the
public, from a "poster child" POV ;-)

(...)
> Bruce Perens seemed *relatively* normal, although I'm not sure what is
> (was) wrong with him.  He had some sort of constant tic/twitch and/or
> speech impediment, but nothing anyone could be critical of.

Those were my first thoughts too, but you get used to his way of
speaking after a while. IMO the way he thoroughly, sometimes slowly
pronounces his words makes it fascinating to listen to him. It even has
a positive effect on his credibility to me. And he really has some
inspirational things to say. (did you know he once was Debian Project
Leader and created the Debian free software guidelines and later the
Open Source Definition?)

(...)

> Interesting stuff though. A lot of history that I was and was not aware
> of.  A must see for any geek.

I can also recommend the videos from the 2005 UN World Summit of
Information Society, where RMS, Bruce Perens and Mark Shuttleworth all
spoke on the same panel:

Topic: Is Free/Open Source Software the Answer?
http://www.iosn.net/regional/wsis-2005

RMS with a really brilliant variation of his standard speech, directly
followed by a touching manifesto from Bruce.

1. RMS http://videos.iosn.net/wsis/chapter-02.ogg
2. Bruce http://videos.iosn.net/wsis/chapter-03.ogg

The next speakers were two business representatives spreading FUD, and
one UN Inspector (with hard to understand accent). The last speech was
given by Mark, who easily outperforms the 3 middle speakers:

6. Mark http://videos.iosn.net/wsis/chapter-07.ogg

Also a must see IMO.

Guido