Seriously Impressive: Sun Java Studio Creator - Ubuntu's killer app?

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Fri Dec 15 09:15:25 GMT 2006

On 15/12/06, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Pete Ryland wrote:
>
> > Syntax highlighting is enough for me to ensure it will compile, and
>
> No it isn't - unless it does type-checking at the same time. Syntactically
> correct programs in many languages don't necessarily compile.

It sounds like it might be useful on occasion, and I guess quickfix
mode is vim's equivalent, but for me syntax highlighting is usually
enough.

> > Well that's good to know.  I'm glad they're finally catching up.  Have
> > they implemented regex search/replace yet?
>
> So you don't have the slightest clue what they're capable of, yet you can
> see no possible advantage.  It's not worth the effort to argue with you
> (fwiw, every IDE I use does regex search & replace).

I think it's possible that both sides of this discussion are guilty of
this.  Although whenever I read about Eclipse's latest features, they
never seem to mention or place any emphasis on improvements in the
editing interface, so I felt safe to assume that nothing had changed
with that.

Pete