for the love of the penguin

Hervé Fache Herve at lucidia.net
Thu Dec 14 14:56:14 GMT 2006

On 12/14/06, Alexander Jacob Tsykin <stsykin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 15 December 2006 01:23, Peter Whittaker wrote:
> > What do the two lines together mean? Your guess is as good as mine, but
> > I'll bet he was playing the classic Janus politician, trying to please
> > everyone and failing spectacularly.
> >
> I rather doubt it. De Gaulle's trademark was that eh never really tried to
> please anyone, adn in fact spent most of his time wuite contentedly getting
> on everybody's nerves.

Until the French that were born during and after the war sent him away.
And you're right, my 'dangerous humour' stance was misplaced and
refered to the links from Jan: De Gaulle was serious, like when he
told the French he had understood them ("Je vous ai compris", with
both arms erected). He had not understood anything in fact.

Maybe it looks stupid to talk about it now, but remember than one big
question for the next French presidential election (May 2007) is "what
does it mean to be gaullist?" (seen on Le Monde). Personally, I'll
just thank them for putting Linux in the French assembly, and thanks
Rocard (left wing) for rejecting the software patents last time. Hope
he does it again when it comes back (as in: now!)

Hervé (trying to pretend not being completely off topic).