Seriously Impressive: Sun Java Studio Creator - Ubuntu's killer app?

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Tue Dec 12 08:05:45 GMT 2006

Just wanted to say I'm seriously impressed with Sun's latest development
offering, that adds a 'RAD' edge to their usual Java / Netbeans
development environment which was always a bit hard to get into.

Not anymore.  Sun Java Studio Creator seems really awesome for quickly
and graphically putting together a rich, responsive GUI application on
the web.

Possibly this is even the 'easiest' kind of programming / developing you
could get into on Ubuntu?   And when you get proficient with it you're
really at the high-end of commercial enterprise application development.
Compare this with Python, where there is no such route to becoming an
enterprise application developer after mastering Python.

Ubuntu I think initially planned on having Python around to have
programming tools available for people wanting to explore the world of
programming / development.  But with the recent deals between Canonical
and Sun, and Sun open-sourcing pretty much the lot of their development
tools as well as Java,  can anyone see a change to help push Sun Java
Studio Creator / Netbeans as an entry level as well as advanced
environment?  (In favour of Python I mean, which is not even that easy
anymore once you need stuff to access databases and work cross
platform / web based.)

Personally I'm still looking for the best long term platform to develop
web applications on, looking at all aspects including the Free-ness of
the tools, the overall power, support for databases and learning curve.

Ubuntu & Java Studio Creator could be a killer combination for
database / web application development.. does anyone else agree with
that prospect?

Cheers,
Chanchao