The old version name versus version number debate..

Toby Smithe toby.smithe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 19:40:24 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 13:35 +1100, Andrew Swinn wrote:
> David M wrote:
>   > That's one up for using the numbers, in my opinion :)
>

> Thats a second vote from me. I think we put too much on the 'code name'
> and we end up getting this confusion. My nice copy of Ubuntu 6.06 from
> Canonical does not have the words 'dapper' or 'drake' anywhere on it. If
> people use the Dapper or Edgy bit it should always have the version
> number alongside.

You can't control what people write. You can give them a name, and you
can give them a number, but you cannot make them conform to just one, or
either. The names will not die, they were a tradition started before the
first release by sabdfl. However, they are not official, and officially
the releases should be referred to by number. As has already been said,
however, the releases are more of less alphabetical since Breezy (5.10
for those who've forgotten!).

> Also of note and quite commonly used by mistake is referring to Ubuntu
> as 'Ubuntu Linux'. It is just plain 'Ubuntu', not 'Ubuntu Linux' or
> 'Ubuntu GNU/Linux'.

Actually it's Ubuntu (Linux for human beings).