Linux update becomes terminal pain

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 25 13:45:23 BST 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 06:21:13 -0600
"Conrad Knauer" <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Ah, I did some research and lynx isn't the only CLI browser :)
> > > elinks is also in main and seems to work much nicer IMHO.
> >
> > It would be nice if they added links2, nicer than either in my opinion.
> > I can't be bothered to actually make a package myself because i almost never
> > use CLI browsers, but, as you said, in a jam...
>
> I was actually playing around with that just a few min ago; its in
> universe BTW (that's why I didn't suggest it as its not enabled by
> default).

Right, links2 is in universe...

You can use links2 as a graphical browser too, for example:

links2 -g http://google.com

It is *extremely* quick, but a bit quirky in its interface

I have this in $HOME/bin , which is in my PATH:

#!/bin/bash
#Gets Wikipedia info on commandline - enter search with quotes e.g."Martin Luther"
# If you just type "wikipedia" without arguments, you get the choice to see
# pretty pictures ;-)

if [ "$1" != "" ] ; then
links2 -dump "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1" | less

exit
fi

echo "Would you like to see the Wikipedia article with graphics? y/n"

read

if [ "$REPLY" = "n" ] ; then
echo "Enter your search terms"
read