shared forum and bug database (ubuntuforum.org)

Lean Fuglsang lean-gmane at omnia.dk
Fri Aug 25 11:49:13 BST 2006

A lot of people posting in the Desktop forum, has actually found a bug -
and is ranting to try to solve the problem.

So what about we link the bug database with the forum?
Experienced users should have a way to 1-click a thread into a bug. And
then the thread would never be forgotten.
It would then be possible to mark a forum thread as fixed/needinfo or
other tags. It should also be possible to kategorise where the bug
belongs, so people that are interested in a certain area can easier find
forum threads they are interested in.

So I could subscribe to topics I am interested in, and only show open
'bugs'.

Also every thread is started by some person. So I believe it would be
fruitfull to find the root-cause for posting the thread. This is very much
akin what is done in the aeroplane industry, where a crashed plane means
that the root cause must be found. Was it bad engineering? Then what can
be done to get better practices that gives better engineering. Was it a
pilot error, what excactly caused him to do that? A bad weekend, drinking
too much? Insuficient education? When the root cause has been found, it is
decided what can be done on a management level to avoid the problem in the
future.

Since it would be too time consuming to solve the problems of all the
people posting threads in the forum, we will have to do some agregation of
the problems. So we will have to find the root cause for every thread, and
then agregate these into some system. We can then choose which problems
that gives the best improvement/ressource ratio.

So what I propose is that the main thing that people see when they enter
ubuntuforum, is just not a forum - but a bugdatabase. Where people are
dwelling behind every thread, sucking information out of the poor bastards
posting there - not just solving a single problem, but solving a lot of
future problems, yet to be experienced.