Alacarte (was Re: Edgy feedback)

janne.jokitalo at dnainternet.net janne.jokitalo at dnainternet.net
Fri Aug 25 10:08:39 BST 2006

Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Thanks for this response. I'm reposting to the list.

Thanks! I'm such a loser... ;)

> If this is right, and the speed of that search can't be
> improved, I wonder if there could be some caching done...

I'm sure there are ways, and also some caching in order,
but I suspect the principal is that you _might_ have
something new, which you want to add. And if it's new, it
won't be in the cache. But again, I don't know what I'm
talking about, and frankly I found it hard to gain
additional info on how the thing works, I guess I need to
start looking at the code. :) Or else I'm just having a
really bad day, and can't even see where I'm looking.

> gnome-app-install also does some searching for files, and
> opens really slowly in Dapper. I understand that there will
> be some caching implemented in order to improve this for
> future releases.

As long as there are good and working methods of
refreshing the cache when the user doesn't even notice, I
would think using a cache is a great idea.

--
Jaska