Most offensive thing I've seen all day

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 14:42:50 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-08 at 23:20 +1000, Melissa Draper wrote:

> This is a reply to an email that Michael sent direct to me, rather than
> the list. I did not appreciate such, and I feel it's necessary to
> respond publicly.

This is, I believe, traditionally considered a breach of list etiquette,
no?  I know that I got knocked around a bit for doing this even when the
person in question accidentally sent it to me rather than the list
because I assumed he wanted it list-wide.  So doing it deliberately when
it was clear this was not intended for the list strikes me as...  What
was that from the CoC you so quickly brandish about?  Oh yes.  "Be
respectful."

> Michael T. Richter wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-04-08 at 12:46 +1000, Melissa Draper wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious, Melissa, and please don't take this as an attack as I'm
> >
> I'm not taking it as an attack, but your attitude disgusts me.

My attitude?  Which one?  That "When you disagree" consult others
applies because not everybody shares the same views about, say,
Christianity (or whatever) that you do?  That where you draw the line
for patently offensive distributions (like my hypothetical
"RaHoWabuntu") and where other people might draw that line (like,
apparently, Christian Ubuntu) may be different?

> Quit the what-ifs and get over the prejudice. What prejudice? you may
> ask... The prejudice that makes you think Christians or Muslims are
> going to use Ubuntu to launch holy wars, just because someone repackaged
> Ubuntu with slight variations to make it easier for the less technically
> apt people in the world.

Of course if you attempt to point to where I said any of that, you would
find it rather difficult.  (Where "difficult" in this case is code for
"impossible".)  But please do churn out the fantasies.  It's lots of fun
to read them.

> Please, don't troll the list with this rubbish. It's hardly CoC.

Now of course I didn't send it to the list.  You did.  Which is at the
very least a breach of etiquette, if not directly a breach of the CoC as
it's worded.

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot [...]. I
think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor
people." --Mother Theresa