commercial != non-free software

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 01:24:49 BST 2006

On 8/8/06, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > > "proprietary" is the closest that comes to mind.
> >
> > Wouldn't this also cover various applications in multiverse?
>
> In some senses, yes, and in others, no.  In the sense of "made or produced
> or distributed by one having exclusive rights", no.

I was trying last night to think of an english term that goes beyond
"proprietary" to describe the extremely limited redistribution aspect
of dapper-commercial but couldn't really (other than 'restricted', but
that's already taken, ne? ;), though if people want to consider
foreign words, I did come up with the french privé and fermé/fermée
(as in 'closed; private' and 'closed; locked') and german geschlossen.

CK