commercial != non-free software

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 8 15:47:24 BST 2006

Hi Matt

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 17:23 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> While it may or may not be feasible to change the name of the repository at
> this time, I'd be interested to hear suggestions for meaningful, intuitive
> names which aren't defined as the opposite of something else.
>
> "proprietary" is the closest that comes to mind.

Proprietary is probably the correct word.

This is also a bug in Malone:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+source/gnome-app-install/+bug/44925

Suggestions that were made there include:
"restricted"
"Show closed-source applications"
"Reduced Freedom"

According to this comment, it is fixed in Edgy, although I don't have an
Edgy machine or live-cd handy currently:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+source/gnome-app-install/+bug/44925/comments/19

Sebastian Heinlein also posted these screenshots with an improved UI:
http://librarian.launchpad.net/3677893/combo.jpg
http://librarian.launchpad.net/3677894/emblem.jpg

The screenshots above show how the terminology can be improved while
improving the UI at the same time.

-Jonathan