Bad article on fridge

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Sun Aug 6 12:31:17 BST 2006

la, 2006-08-05 kello 20:45 +0200, VETSEL Patrice kirjoitti:
> I'm sorry but the title :
> (ubuntu at) TOP FOR SECURITY (in general ?!) is a sensational title. And
> it hurt me.
>
> In the security world, modesty and humility have to be used.
>
> Ununtu security model is not better than any others distibutions, and we
> are in late for integration for tools like SELinux or AppArmor.
>
> Ubuntu is not "TOP FOR SECURITY" but "QUICKEST IN FIXING SECURITY
> VULNERABILITIES". I don't know for others country, but here in france,
> titles have big importance.
>
> Sorry if i'm alone to think that. And forget the noise i'v made.

I agree with you on this. As someone pointed out though, you made the
same mistake yourself when you named your post "Bad article on fridge".
I know, it's not easy to create a short and telling subject line for a
message, when using a foreign language.

Generally speaking, titles and headlines in the media nowerdays often
look more like selling phrases for articles. It's not rare these days to
see an article with a title, that actually contradicts the content of
the article. I can tell from experience that the habit of writing
misleading titles and headlines is very contagious, and one has to pay
attention to the matter to keep himself from doing it. Title is
important because the reader (consciously or unconsciously) expects it
to contain the essence of the article and is using the content and the
tone of it to adjust himself to the reading.

I might add that by no mean I believe that the title of the article in
Fridge was meant to mislead anyone. Most likely the writer just wanted
to create a short and catchy title (and succeeded :-)

Ari