New dapper-commercial packages

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 6 08:23:05 BST 2006

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 23:52:11 -0700
Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 05:25:54PM -0600, Conrad Knauer wrote:
> > I thought the whole point of dapper-commercial though was that
> > Canonical was getting special permission to repackage/redistribute the
> > packages it hosted there (otherwise they could be in multiverse, ne?).
>
> Correct.
>
> > Anyway, Skype seems to have a debian repository of its own:
> > http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/repositories.html
> > so its probably not worth it for Canonical.
>
> Those packages have failed to work on Ubuntu in the past; packages
> specifically made for Ubuntu would be worthwhile.
>
> > P.S. Google Earth would be nice though (hint hint to Canonical :)
>
> I'll pass this on.

Not a huge deal, but there still isn't a PPC architecture Ubuntu version
of Opera. (See  https://launchpad.net/bugs/52409 )

 gnome-app-install still has it listed, and it still goes around in
circles trying to enable the dapper-commercial repository and getting
nowhere. Pretty confusing if you don't know what's happening...

The Debian Sid PPC package from the Opera site appears to work fine,
although it is a "shared Qt" version, so I imagine it requires QT packages
to satisfy dependencies.... ah, yes:

$ apt-cache depends opera | grep qt
  Depends: libqt3-mt

That appears to be the only Qt dep though, and it isn't a huge one - about
3134kB of archives

Peter