New dapper-commercial package (Panda)

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 00:25:54 BST 2006

On 8/5/06, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> > Just out of curiosity,
> > what packages do people think should go into dapper-commercial that
> > aren't there now? (e.g. Skype)
>
> I don't think Skype allows redistribution... I could be wrong.

As per http://www.skype.com/help/faq/linux.html

"Can I redistribute Skype for Linux? Yes, you can. For the fine print,
read the EULA. In short, please link back to Skype servers for the
actual file download (automatic downloading is OK), notify
distribution at skype.net about your intentions, and make the Skype EULA
terms clear to your users."

So not really ;)

I thought the whole point of dapper-commercial though was that
Canonical was getting special permission to repackage/redistribute the
packages it hosted there (otherwise they could be in multiverse, ne?).
 Note for example that there is no Real Player 10 deb on
http://www.real.com/linux

Anyway, Skype seems to have a debian repository of its own:
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/repositories.html
so its probably not worth it for Canonical.

CK

P.S. Google Earth would be nice though (hint hint to Canonical :)