Most offensive thing I've seen all day

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Fri Aug 4 14:20:58 BST 2006

This is a reply to an email that Michael sent direct to me, rather than
the list. I did not appreciate such, and I feel it's necessary to
respond publicly.

Michael T. Richter wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-08 at 12:46 +1000, Melissa Draper wrote:
>
> I'm curious, Melissa, and please don't take this as an attack as I'm

I'm not taking it as an attack, but your attitude disgusts me.
> more interested in just where the limits of tolerance are drawn, how do
> you think the community should react to a "RaHoWabuntu" (RaHoWa being
> short for Racial Holy War -- a term used by white supremest groups in
> the English speaking parts of the world -- were something like that to
> be released?  How about an Islamibuntu?  What about Islamibuntu if it
> were Jihad-oriented?

What if Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu etc were used for hacking and creating
viruses. What if, what if, what if..

Quit the what-ifs and get over the prejudice. What prejudice? you may
ask... The prejudice that makes you think Christians or Muslims are
going to use Ubuntu to launch holy wars, just because someone repackaged
Ubuntu with slight variations to make it easier for the less technically
apt people in the world.
> Tolerance cannot be 100% and universal for reasons I hope are obvious.
> Where should the line be drawn?

You want to know where the limits of tolerance should be drawn. Just
short of paranoia is a good start.
> Personally, I have nothing against Christian Ubuntu, but I can see how
> people who've been persecuted by Christians and those claiming to follow
> its ideology might find it really offensive in about the same way that I
> would find a RaHoWabuntu really, really, really offensive.

What about people who have been suckered in by the Nigerian scammers.
They may not want to use this linux distro because it has an African
word as it's name, or because it is an African philosophy. We'd better
change the name of Ubuntu to something else.

Sounds stupid, doesn't it.

Please, don't troll the list with this rubbish. It's hardly CoC.

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com