apps choice for Ubuntu and installation choices

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 21 19:18:56 BST 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 07:40:56PM +0200, Magnus Blomfelt wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 07:14:54PM +0200, Magnus Blomfelt wrote:
> >
> >>I agree that the default installation should be as simple as possible.
> >>What do you think about having it as a separate install option, like:
> >>
> >>To install only the base system, type 'server' then ENTER.
> >>To install a bare desktop with selections, type 'bare' then ENTER.
> >>For the default installation, press ENTER.
> >>boot: _
> >
> >This prompt is gone, replaced by a graphical menu with a minimal number of
> >options.
> Is there no way to install the base system anymore?

That isn't what I said; there's a graphical menu on the traditional install
CD, on which one of the options is "Install a Server".

> Couldn't the bare desktop option be placed next to that option then?

Note "minimal" above.

> Installation aside, what do you think of being able to add/remove the
> mentioned application packages after installation?

It's non-trivial to handle the dependencies properly on removal, and I'm not
sure that "everything under this menu section" is the right way to divide
thigsn.

> What do you think about being able to set these application packages
> permission in 'Users and Groups'?

Menu customization for different users is something that the Edubuntu folks
have talked about in the past.  It's not at all clear to me what the
concrete requirements are, though, and I don't want to comment on something
vague.

> >>I can't seem to find any screenshots of Ubuntu Express, so I don't know
> >>the current options.
> >http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=615&slide=3
> You had my hopes up there for a while, but I can only find the first
> step in the seven step installation process there, and it's not very
> interesting :-)

Why not download the beta and try it yourself, assuming you have the
bandwidth?  We're hungry for testing.

--
 - mdz