apps choice for Ubuntu and installation choices

Magnus Blomfelt d98mb at dtek.chalmers.se
Fri Apr 21 18:14:54 BST 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 06:49:24PM +0200, Magnus Blomfelt wrote:
>
>>Create a meta-package for each collection of programs in the
>>Applications menu - Accessories, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office,
>>Sound & Video.
>>
>>Then provide an option somewere in the installation process that offers
>>the choice which Application Packages to install.
>

> We specifically want to avoid asking more questions during installation.  If
> you've tried the new graphical installer in Dapper, you've seen that it only
> asks about 7 questions, 4 of which can be answered without using the
> keyboard. ;-)
>
> Simpler is better here.  It's more comfortable for the user to customize
> after installation than during installation anyway.

I agree that the default installation should be as simple as possible.
What do you think about having it as a separate install option, like:

To install only the base system, type 'server' then ENTER.
To install a bare desktop with selections, type 'bare' then ENTER.
For the default installation, press ENTER.
boot: _

I can't seem to find any screenshots of Ubuntu Express, so I don't know
the current options.