apps choice for Ubuntu and installation choices

Magnus Blomfelt d98mb at dtek.chalmers.se
Fri Apr 21 17:49:24 BST 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 01:12:14AM +1000, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:
>>I am not attacking the Ubuntu developers here, if you look at the context,
>>then my suggestion was to have multiple install options on the install disk.
>>Like office, games, multimedia, whatever the developers think is needed and
>>feasible. I merely presentend some features which a lot of people wouldn't
>>use, which might belong in one category, but which maybe (I stress the maybe)
>>don't belong in the general install.
>
> It is an option which has been considered in the past, and considered to be
> a less functional solution than what we have today.  Rather than attempting
> to divide desktop users into categories, we offer something which will
> satisfy a broad range of users, and make it easy to add more specialized
> applications as desired.

This discussion made me think of another approach. I'm not suggesting it
or implying I have researched it, I am simply voicing my thoughts for
discussion and input from the list. Here it goes.

Create a meta-package for each collection of programs in the
Applications menu - Accessories, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office,
Sound & Video.

Then provide an option somewere in the installation process that offers
the choice which Application Packages to install.

Possibly even provide a way in 'Users and Groups' to set what
Application Packages different users will have access to.

This way the install CD could still contain the same packages as before
and computers can be setup to somewhat more match the need of the users.

Best regards
/Magnus