Oracle intersted in buying Ubunutu

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 06:33:51 BST 2006

On 4/18/06, Alexander Jacob Tsykin <stsykin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 14:14, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> > In some ways that what's I was expecting when we heard that Mark
> > bought ImpiLinux last year:  keep a free Ubuntu we all know and use,
> > but have a parallel "Ubuntu-Plus" that is no-free (but still very
> > affortable) with all the non-free/libre stuff all ready for the users.
> That would run counter to the Ubuntu philosophy:
>
> "Ubuntu will always be free of charge, and there is no extra fee for
> the "enterprise edition", we make our very best work available to everyone on
> the same Free terms." (http://www.ubuntu.com)
>
> I don't think he would want to do that.

Essentially it is Mepis, but under Mark's control.  Nobody said
anything about charging for Ubuntu. I'm was hypothetically talking
about a totally different distro that just happen to have the same
core than Ubuntu, but with the extra bits non free available for a
small amount of money.

--
Daniel Robitaille