Oracle intersted in buying Ubunutu

Alexander Jacob Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 05:49:49 BST 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 08:42, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> To me, Linux is Linux.  Being an old hippie, I'm here for the philosophy
> and, "...humanity toward others.".
> If Oracle or any other corporate entity is in, I'm out and danged
> quickly.  /IF/ this happens then, Debian, here I (and others I'm sure)
> come again.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
Let me start by saying I am NOT in favour of selling Ubuntu, so please don't
flame me.

If Linux is to take on Microsoft and win, it will have to have commercial
backers. End of story. If this means that Oracle, or Novell, or Redhat or any
other company interested in Linux is to have a say in the direction of the
Operating System, then so be it.

T illustrate this, consider the fiasco of GPLv3. Linus Torvalds said that the
Linux kernel will not be under this license, because of its anti-DRM
provisions. While he doesn't approve of DRM (and neither do I), he
understands that many companies will not invest in Linux if they cannot use
DRM, and he is above all a pragmatist.

For Linux to succeed, we are going to have to make some compromises with
principle. Linus Torvalds understands this. So does Mark Shuttleworth
(consider that he has not locked proprietary code out of the distribution,
far from it, he gave it its own repository, the multiverse). While the
multiverse is not supported, you can actually activate by pressing a button
in Synaptic, it is one of the core acknowledged Ubuntu repositories.

Ultimately, we will have to cooperate with commercial ventures, and the only
question is how much? I am in favour of corporate investment as long as the
community still has a voice, so why not allow them to buy the forums? As fr
Ubuntu itself, all the intellectual rights are owned by the Ubuntu
foundation, and I would be against it selling them.

Sasha