Oracle intersted in buying Ubunutu

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 00:27:46 BST 2006

On 4/18/06, Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:51:49 -0400
> Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
>
> > Found this interesting post
> > http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1180607,00.html
> > about how it would make more sense for Oracle to buy Ubuntu instead
> > of Novell.
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> To me, Linux is Linux.  Being an old hippie, I'm here for the philosophy
> and, "...humanity toward others.".
> If Oracle or any other corporate entity is in, I'm out and danged
> quickly.  /IF/ this happens then, Debian, here I (and others I'm sure)
> come again.

While I have never had any problem using a distro that his
commercially owned (insert here a few years of being an user of Red
Hat/Mandrake before I went to Fedora and finally Ubuntu),
I'm not clear I would be so inclined to help for free with my personal
time with a project that his commercially-backed by a large
corporation. (of course if there is a job offer at the end I would
consider it :) )

It's easy for a blogger or a news site to start rumours and say that
it makes sense for Oracle to buy Ubuntu from Canonical, but most of
the Ubuntu project is not "owned" by Canonical but is owned by its
community, and as such cannot be sold  in the conventional sense of
the word.

Daniel

--
Daniel Robitaille