Why is Ubuntu great? (was Re: Oracle intersted in buying Ubunutu)

john levin john at technolalia.org
Wed Apr 19 00:05:55 BST 2006

grethe at bek.no wrote:

> Why Ubuntu is great? I dont know. I like the visual design, that it
> actually works for me (a non techie). And that it has these
> quasi-mythological  stories about extreemely rich and philantropic
> moonwalkers attached to it.

Why is Ubuntu great? Because, by and large, it just works. Because when
it doesn't 'just work', I can file a bug report (although often someone
else has beaten me to it) and it gets fixed. Because I can be a part of
it, without having to jump through hoops to become an alpha-geek
maintainer, because there's loads of people enthused by it
etc.

That's what freedom does. :)

</fanboy>

John