Killer Feature?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 17 16:26:43 BST 2006

Pete Ryland wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:34:58AM -0500, Rocco Stanzione wrote:
>> For me, and I suspect more than a few others, one feature that would
>> drastically improve my computing experience has been in Windows for many
>> years.  The possibility has existed in Linux but (to my knowledge) has
>> never been implemented.
>
> On the contrary, there have been many programs of this nature.

On the other contrary ... :-)  There hasn't been anything, to my knowledge,
that does what Rocco wants.

> One I used
> to use about 7 years ago when I had a roaming laptop was called "divine"
> which used arping to determine which network I was on.  It worked very
> well.
>
> I'd not heard of whereami before, but it seems to work similarly.

Very similar, but these are manually intensive.  I've used both, and
whereami is much better, but it still needs me to write two, fairly
extensive, scripts.  Theoretically, I can envision an app that does exactly
what Rocco wants, and I'd love it, but practically I think it would take 6
months of somebody's time to make it work - and it isn't worth that much to
me :-)
--
derek